Laser Hair Removal
Each of your hair follicles is in one of 3 stages of growth at any given time. The "active growth" (anagen) phase, "regressive" (catagen) phase, and "resting" (telogen) phase. The laser is most effective at destroying the hair in "anagen" phase. It is during anagen that the hair shaft contains the greatest abundance of melanin, the target of the laser light. Only 20-25% of our hair follicles are in anagen stage at any point in time. The length of growth cycle also varies slightly by body area. Your Laser Hair Removal treatment plan will be customized to obtain best results.
How Laser Hair Removal works
Laser Hair reduction is a non-invasive light therapy specifically designed to eliminate undesired hair from all parts of the body. The laser generates a pulse of intense, concentrated light which is gently applied to the treatment site through a small, cooled hand piece.
This laser energy passes through the skin to the hair follicle and is absorbed by pigment in the hair shaft and hair follicle. Because it is pigment-specific, it causes selective damage to the hair root without damaging delicate pores and structures of the skin. The laser is pulsed for only a fraction of a second hence, excessive heat is not transferred to the surrounding skin.
In just a few treatment sessions using the gentle power of lasers, you can greatly improve the appearance of the skin, which is disfigured by unwanted hair.
All parts of the body can be treated with Lasers with exception of area around the eyes.
The primary benefits of laser hair removal include:
- Larger areas can be treated
- Not as painful as electrolysis, waxing or tweezing.
- Speed, comfort and long lasting results.
- Works on any area of the body with exception of areas around the eye.
Hair colors that respond
Because lasers target the pigment in hair roots, lasers work best on black or brown hair. Very light coloured, natural red or blonde hair may require more treatment sessions, and may respond only partially. White hair does not respond to laser treatment - so get your treatments before your hair turns grey or white!
Treatment Day - HELLO LASER, GOODBYE RAZOR!
Lasting hair removal has never been this easy! The areas you wish to have treated will be cleansed and pre-treatment photos may be taken. Everyone in the treatment room must wear protective eyewear when the laser is turned on. The Cutera Xeo & Syneron Lasers are high powered laser systems and can cause eye injury, if proper eye wear is not worn while the laser is used. The length of the procedure itself can range from a few minutes to an hour or more. Even more time can be saved if you come to your appointment shaved and ready to go.
Laser Hair Removal - Pre Treatment
- Do not pluck, thread or wax the areas you wish to have treated for 6-8 weeks prior to laser hair treatment. Depilatory creams or shaving the areas is recommended for removing unwanted hair from the treatment areas.
- If being treated with the YAG Laser, avoid the following for a minimum of one week
~ tanning beds
~ spray tans
~ sun exposure
- If being treated with the LightSheer DUET Laser, avoid the following for a minimum of one month,
~ tanning beds
~ spray tans
~ sun exposure
- Please inform your technician if you have been tanning your skin so that we can make required alteration to the treatment protocol.
Laser Hair Removal - Post Treatment
- Some redness and swelling in the area can happen after treatment. The area may feel irritated, similar to a sunburn. This should resolve within few hours to several days after treatment.
- Do not soak in hot tubs or have a hot bath for 24 hrs.
- Do not work out to the point of perspiration as extreme itchiness may develop for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure & irritants (glycolics, retinoids etc.) for seven days after treatment.
- Apply sun block with Titanium Dioxide & Zinc Oxide over the treated area daily for the entire duration of your treatments.
Laser Hair Removal - Procedure
Cooling pads are applied to the skin for a few moments before the area is treated. Immediately before the laser is used on an area, the cooling pad is removed and a thin coat of clear, soothing gel is lightly applied over the skin. Then the laser pulses are quickly and evenly applied by our trained staff. You can return to work or resume normal activities immediately following your procedure. However, since some redness may occur, you may want to plan your work or social engagements accordingly. This may last from a few minutes to several days depending on the area and your individual skin's sensitivity
Laser Hair Removal - Results
Most clients experience a 70-90% reduction in the amount of hair in a given area and a reduction in the thickness and color of the remaining hair. It is not realistic to expect to be "100% hair free". It has been suggested that a 6 month follow-up may be sufficient to assess final outcome after the final laser hair removal session, because once re-growth had stabilized (usually within 6 months), there is usually little or no change in hair counts at 6,12, and 24 months.
Laser Hair Removal - Safety
Our Lasers have been successfully used on many people who were not able to tolerate, or did not obtain satisfactory results with electrolysis or with older laser and "high intensity light" systems, including ruby laser, alexandrite laser, 800 nm lasers, diode lasers, and Epilight™ systems. In fact, depending on how much hair is left, people who have been partially treated with other lasers may need only one or two treatments with our laser to "finish the job".
Laser Hair Removal is considered cosmetic and, therefore, is not covered by insurance. The client is responsible for payment. Just like fees paid to physicians, dentists and orthodontists for other medical services, fees to physicians for laser hair removal services may be tax deductible medical expenses, so save your receipts.