Chemical Peels are controlled destruction of portions of the epidermis & dermis with subsequent regeneration of new epidermal & dermal tissue. It is recommended to treat the skin with a series of 4-6 treatments, 1 treatments every 2 weeks to achieve the best results.
Our Milk Peels come as a package of 4 treatments and home care products to last the duration of the treatments; 1 treatment every 2 weeks.
It is extremely important to protect your skin with the appropriate sun protection. If you are unsure which product will best protect you, please do not hesitate to ask us.
Peels for all skin types - AHA/BHA & Milk Peels
Skin is a dynamic organ. Everyday cells divide at the basal layer of the epidermis & begin their journey upward to the uppermost layer, the stratum corneum. As new cells continue to grow, old cells from the stratum corneum slough off. This exfoliation of cells is a normal daily event. Chemical peeling is basically an accelerated form of exfoliation induced by the use of chemical peeling agents. The aim is to create as little tissue damage as possible while inducing as much new tissue formation as possible.
Chemical Peel is controlled destruction of portions of the epidermis & dermis with subsequent regeneration of new epidermal & dermal tissue.
Pigmentation Peels are designed to pull the pigmentation to the skin’s surface. A series of treatments as well as home care in crucial to maintain the results.
Chemical Peels combined with Skin Care Lines carried at Nulook Medspa help to improve the following skin conditions:
- Acne (Exfoliates the area without spreading bacteria while treating the skin)
- Actinic Keratosis (Chemical Peels help to slough off Actinic Keratosis and can result in a clearer skin)
- Age Spots
- Aging skin and Wrinkles
Depth of Peels
These peels either thin or remove stratum corneum.
These peels create necrosis of part or all of epidermis from below stratum corneum to the basal layer, but may extend to the papillary dermis.
These create necrosis of epidermis & part or all of papillary dermis with possible extension to the upper reticular dermis.
These create necrosis of the epidermis & papillary dermis extending into the mid reticular dermis.
The factors determining depth of the peel are, peeling agent used, integrity of the epidermal barrier & your skin type.
One of the many skin care lines offered at Nulook Medspa incorporates the use of AHA/BHA, vitamins, botanicals & antioxidants. Made of 4 AHA’s & 2 BHA’s, they can provide exfoliation with less stinging & irritation. These products are non-comedogenic & the ingredients are carefully selected to ensure they are the least likely to cause irritation.
By using proper homecare products you will contribute to a more uniform consistent treatment hence improving the end result.
Chemical Peels create the following changes in the skin
- Stimulation of renewed epidermal growth from the basal layer due to removal of the stratum corneum. The epidermis thickens plus there is dispersion of melanin granules, imparting a uniform & smoother look to your skin.
- The newer epidermal cell layers are more normal.
- There is a reflex induction of collagen & glycosaminoglycan formation. Even very superficial or superficial chemical exfoliation can stimulate this response.
- The resultant exfoliation can also open blocked sebaceous glands.
Benefits of combining AHAs with BHAs
- BHAs extend the duration of AHAs exfoliative action. Combining these in a skin care product improves the benefits of each of them.
- BHAs are lipid soluble, allowing it to penetrate into the sebaceous glands. AHAs are water soluble and although they can improve mild acne by exfoliative activity, BHAs achieve better exfoliation of blocked sebaceous glands.
Chemical Peels are designed for individuals with:
- Acne or Oily Skin
- Drab or Dull Skin Tone Complexions
- Pigmented & Discoloured Skin
- Fine lines & Wrinkles
- Smoothes and Refreshes the skin's surface
- May help to decrease large pores
- Milk Peels help to prolong hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers
- Avoid use of Accutane for 6 months prior to treatment.
- Avoid tanning the treatment area; including tanning beds, spray tan, and extensive sun exposure.
- Stop use of exfoliants (like Glycolic Acid) on treatment area one week before treatment.
- Stop use of Retin-A one week prior to the treatment.
- Remove makeup on area to be treated prior to your appointment.
- Avoid chemical or mechanical irritants 1 week prior to treatment.
- You may not proceed with this treatment if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- If you have a history of oral herpes, you must pre-treat with an anti-viral e.g. Valtrex 500 twice a day for 2 days before your scheduled visit and continue for 3 days after treatment.
- Your skin may feel slightly sensitive/ irritated after treatment for a few days, depending on your skin type and the strength of peel used on you.
- You can use your regular cosmetic skincare products. Avoid using Retin-A & Glycolic acid containing products for 2-3 days.
- We recommend use of the highest potency sun protection available before you expose your skin to sunlight, preferably a mineral sun block.
- Avoid using scrubs/ exfoliants for approximately 2 weeks after treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores, there is a higher risk of reoccurrence after treatment. Please speak to us about it. A prophylactic medicine can be taken to prevent reoccurrence.
- It is important to have a follow up treatment done on time, as directed by your aesthetician/physician.